[opendtv] Re: How About Portable ATSC Receivers?

  • From: BenWebber@xxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 14:16:51 -0500

LG's decision not to manufacture a 5th-gen ATSC STB arises from the
obvious fact that demand for ATSC settop boxes is not significantly
different from zero. Nothing more, nothing less, and nothing to do with
manufacturing costs.

The only significant demand for any kind of ATSC tuner is in integrated
DTV sets (and that, only because of legislation requiring their
presence).

I confess to both ignorance and apathy regarding the arcana of the
modulation wars that occupy so much bandwidth on this list, but it seems
obvious to me that LG's behavior is a function of simple economic
self-interest. Apply Occam's razor, guys.

Regards,

B.

Ben Webber               Managing Director
Psychofish, LLC          ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
180 N Stetson Ave #810     312-819-4042(v)
Chicago, IL 60601 USA      312-819-4041(f)