[opendtv] Re: How About Portable ATSC Receivers?

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 20:51:46 -0500

Doug McDonald wrote:
 > Hence, I think we can get a good take on this: the present tuners seem
 > to work just except for Mark Schubin. Unless there is a govenment
 > requirement for better ones, or a goverenment requirement for
 > a careful labelling for several tuner-type performance parameters,
 > the limiting factor for Mark Schubin will be the "can-type tuner",
 > since nobody will build boxes with better ones. COFDM would not help
 > this.

I'm not going to attempt to refute this other than to say it seems to be
quite a leap.

But can anyone then say what is the price difference between a good and
bad can-type tuner?  Maybe we would rather buy the ones that work?

- Tom

(Old CJ&F song: You can tune a piano but you cantuner fifth [gen chips]?)