[opendtv] Re: How About Portable ATSC Receivers?

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 16:21:00 -0500

Bert,

Play with an ATSC STB, then you can lecture me on the ease of reception
afforded by ATSC vs. NTSC.

My offer to loan you one still stands.

John Shutt

P.S.  If the United States were 90% wired (and/or DBS), and Australia were
0% wired, that would still make a market of 10 million US TVHHs, and only 7
million AU TVHHs.

Where is your logic?  Mine says every manufacturer that has tried to make an
ATSC box has found out they are difficult and expensive to make, don't work
very well, and there is too high of a return rate.  Therefore there is no
profit in them.  Yes, it is market forces, but with, as the CEA claims, over
16.5 million DTV sets sold in the United States since 1998, shouldn't that
be a big enough market?  Bigger than Australia, and they have plenty of STBs
to choose from.

If there is no demand for ATSC, then let's switch to DVB-T and create some
demand.