[opendtv] Re: How About Portable ATSC Receivers?

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 18:45:24 -0500

Bert,

You fail to mention HAAT for the Berlin towers, and until that is known, you
can't know where the radio horizon is, nor how much more power is required
to reach further.  If the Berlin towers are at 150 feet HAAT, the radio
horizon is only 17 miles away.

Far field reception of COFDM was not a problem in the 1999 Sinclair tests,
nor was it a problem in the flawed MSTV tests (successful reception up to 55
miles away.)  With identical ERP and HAAT, you would be hard pressed to
notice a difference in reception between the two in the far field.

Stop reading numbers and start getting some real world experience.

If I were to take Jay's brother's experience, it seems that the first and
oldest Motorola box he had worked best.  His two newer ones didn't work as
well, so am I to assume from his experience that later generation ATSC boxes
are worse than earlier ones?  You can't generalize from a single anecdotal
incident.

John