[opendtv] Re: How About Portable ATSC Receivers?

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 12:12:34 -0500

Doug,

Let me get this straight.   Both COFDM and VSB need very high performance
tuners.  The cost of a high quality tuner is too expensive for LG to
manufacture an ATSC STB for the US market of over 100 million TVHHs, but LG
can manufacture an HD DVB STB for the 7 million TVHH Australian market?

http://www.productreview.com.au/showitem.php?item_id=2785

Something is wrong with either yours or LG's logic.  My bet is that the
quality of tuner required for COFDM is not the same as that required by an
equally well performing ATSC box.

John Shutt