[opendtv] Re: Bob, where are the tunerless monitors?

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Jul 2007 18:52:21 -0400

Cliff wrote:

> Does anyone think this blackmail might change as the analog
> shutoff date approaches? Doubtful.
>
> I forsee promos running on all the locals reminding viewers
> to 'hurry and subscribe to cable before your antiquated TVs
> become useless when the FCC shuts down all the old stations
> next year.'
> Think not?
> Stay Tuned...

I'm afraid you hit the nail right on the head.

So now, having said this so eloquently, let's again try to twist logic
to explain how a different modulation would change the picture.

And I'm *not* talking about introducing other new services that have not
proved to survive anywhere else in the world. That's a different
discussion. Let's see why broadcasters would behave any differently in
terms of promoting a Euro-style Freeview service here, if only for a
different modulation scheme.