[opendtv] Re: Bob, where are the tunerless monitors?

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 18:41:35 -0400

John Golitsis wrote:

> Hey Bob...where are all the tunerless monitors you predicted
> the market would be flooded with? Have you seen ANY?

Heh heh. They suffered the same fate as the original Sony Profeel, back
in the 1980s. If it doesn't cost less than a proper TV, why bother?

However, the other day at Best Buy I did notice a decent assortment of
tunerless DVD recorders. We'll see if that category survives. They
seemed very cheap, like in the very low $100s in some cases. I don't
know if that constitutes a fire sale or what. Seems really cheap for a
DVD recorder. When the price of a product category drops that low that
fast, I usually expect it to be more or less on clearance. But you
should know better than me.

The DVDRs with integrated receiver cost in the low to mid $200s,
depending on features.

And Best Buy is very up front with their labeling. They say when it does
*and* when it does not have the ATSC receiver built in.