[opendtv] Re: Bob, where are the tunerless monitors?

  • From: "Albert Manfredi" <bert22306@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 20:56:40 -0400

John Shutt wrote:

It will be interesting to see how many people come to the dance
with STB coupons in their hands, only to find nobody to dance
with.

If ATSC TVs are going to be as cheap as the prices today suggest, you'd really need a coupon to make buying the STB worthwhile. Still, those 70+M TV sets that need OTA reception, as the estimates suggest, will make some STB manufacturers a decent income on US taxpayer dollars. That can't be lost to them. And it wouldn't hurt if broadcasters would remind people continuously that they will need to get the STB or new TV, by the way, John. That would create the market for the cheapo boxes that go on sale this coming January.

Or instead, we can continue making pessimistic predictions, even though each of them has turned out to be dead wrong.

Neil Pickford wrote:

Lots of them in Australia.
LCD mainly with both Computer & Television Application.

Must be the high cost of them DVB-T receivers, eh? :)

In principle, in a country where 75 percent of the population watches OTA TV, you'd think that simple economy of scale would dictate a built-in digital receiver. Or maybe the CE manufacturers are happy to make a bigger profit by selling two boxes instead of one.

Either way, my bet is that consumers will revolt and demand the single TV once your analog shutoff date comes near. I don't think the home-network-with-monitors-and-central-media-server will be any more ubiquitous in Australia than it has turned out to be here.