[opendtv] Re: Bob, where are the tunerless monitors?

  • From: "johnwillkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 14:30:04 -0700

John;

I never lie, and you are behaving as if I am trying to mislead you.

Here's the device (it's marketed under various names)
http://www.diamondmm.com/HDTV100.php

You didn't try hard enough: note the bottom, middle of the page "video
capture dongle s-video, composite RCA, and stereo audio."

Also, notice "record and playback DVD-quality playback" and "supports EPG."
"remote control" "time-shifting playback" "watch and record the TV program
with immediate playback."  I never even mentioned the analog tv input
because, like HDMI, it is irrelevant to this discussion.

The dongle has a "dongle" itself that provides the RCA/s-video inputs.  I am
clueless as to why it has video inputs, but it does!  One end of the dongle
has a USB 2.0 connector, the other end has an "F" connector, and the
dongle's elephant foot plugs into the side.  Actually, connecting to "f"
requires a supplied adaptor.

I've been talking about this device for months here.  It's fifth generation:
it picks up stations I can't get with MyHd.  I suggested that you buy one to
try out fifth-generation chips.  It comes with an application that provides
transport stream or program service capture and video and AC-3 output.  It
cost me $90.

How many more canards can I deal with in a single post?

I never suggested that it's perfect, nor as good as the DVB-T receivers
demonstrated by Sinclair in 1999.

Somehow, I suspect that I know a bit more about MPEG-2, ATSC and other
licensing issues that you.  I remember you saying that companies had signed
over their IP to MPEG-LA and that MPEG-LA includes ALL MPEG-2 patents. These
statements are disproved by the MPEG-LA web site, or it was the last time I
checked.

My issue with this device is that I can't find the application disk to load
it properly on this computer, and downloads fail.  Come to think of it, I'll
try it again.  I'd hate to revert to the harddrive with the loaded app.  I
only played with it for about two minutes (channel scan) before losing or
misplacing the app.

John Willkie

From: "johnwillkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> No, as I pointed out earlier, it has RCA video and L+r audio input, plus
> S-video input.  Video and audio input, I think, isn't required for a STB,
> so
> I suggested turning these into outputs and getting rid of the video/audio
> input processing for video/audio output.

John,

What is the make and model of this unit? Why does it have RCA inputs at all?

An F connector and three RCA connectors would take up most of the surface
area of the typical dongle.

The only ATSC receiver I can find with the word "Diamond" in it is the
Diamond Xtreme TV HDTV100, and it is a USB dongle with a single F connector
at on end.  However, it has no RCA inputs at all.

And btw, if you simply decode a transport stream and pass it to a computer
via USB, you never decode Dolby Digital audio, and you never decode MPEG 2
video, therefore you don't need a license for either, and would be a fool to

pay for them.

John