[opendtv] Re: Bob, where are the tunerless monitors?

  • From: "johnwillkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 18:28:40 -0700

That may happen, but usually "where there's money to pay for something" a
market develops.

I paid $89 within a week or two of release to buy a DiamondVision USB 8-VSB
dongle.  (Which I haven't been able to use because I can't find the
installation disk and d/l from their web site seems to give me a bad
application file.)

Take out the retailer's take (let's say 20%), and you have a $73 dollar
device.  Then, factor I the learning curve, and it is a $36 device within a
year.  Then, add back in a plastic case, take out the USB connection, and
swap out the video/audio inputs for outputs, and you have a STB.  Sell it
online for the voucher amount, with shipping included.  Make it real big
compared to the dongle; say the size of a pack of cigs. (The Diamond comes
with a remote control and a 6" antenna.)

John Willkie