[opendtv] Re: Bob, where are the tunerless monitors?

  • From: "johnwillkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 Jul 2007 16:27:14 -0700

I've never seen a single one (outside of the Fry's electronics superstore)
in stores in the SW US, or NW Mexico, and I've spent a bit of time looking
for them.  (There were only a handful at Fry's amid a sea of integrated
receivers.)

I've also seen a computer monitor plus tuner in Office Depot (in Tijuana and
San Diego) with a "watch TV on your computer monitor" POS card.

I suspect that the labeling requirements that the FCC has imposed on TVs
with NTSC tuners has had some effect.

But, that doesn't account for the availability in Australia.  Indeed, it
sounds opposite what one would draw from the predictions of Frank, Craig,
and in particular, Bob.  Maybe it's the widespread availability of STBs in
Oz, combined with the "wait for the vouchers" STB approach that seems to be
in vogue in the U.S.

In the interest of full disclosure, I predicted in the late 1990's that the
DTV 'revoluion' would result in people separating tuning from viewing for
high quality, just as some folks do with FM tuners, etc and their
amplifiers.  Sure haven't seen many signs of that, yet.

John Willkie