[opendtv] Re: BBC Demonstrates HDTV Broadcasts over SD Channels

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 09:00:50 -0400

At 8:32 PM -0400 6/22/05, Tom Barry wrote:
>  > it may sound better from a numerology perspective,
>
>That alone is probably sufficient if the cost is similar.  Most
>source material won't have the resolution to justify it but
>marketing samples can likely be created that can.

It's not sufficient in my book. Its just hype. As you note, it
reZlity it probably won't matter.

>   however, it will
>>  be very difficult to show any meaningful difference between 720@24P
>>  and 1080@24P source on screens smaller than 100" diagonal, and
>>  between upconverted 720@24P and native 1080@24P on large 1080P
>>  screens.
>>
>I believe that done as I stated above the differences could be
>noticeable standing close (closer than normal viewing distance) on
>many 1080p screens.

True. But this is true for ANY display with ANY source resolution.
That is not what we are talking about here. We are talking about a
system that delivers samples with sufficient resolution to produce
sharp images on the displays that will typically be used by the
masses.

The AVERAGE display size for ALL of the HD capable displays sold to
date is something on the order of 40" diagonal. This average may
increase to 50 or even 60 inches as HD display prices continue to
decrease. But at the same time all smaller displays - the ones that
sell in huge volumes will become HD capable, causing the average HD
display size to get smaller.

What is really important here is physics.

It is easy to calculate how much resolution is needed for a given
screen size at a designed viewing distance. I have even seen some
charts on retail web sites and in stores that actually give this
information. The physics say that 720P is adequate for consumer
displays up to 100" diagonal. We can fudge a little and reduce this
to 70" if you like. That covers 99.9% of all consumer HD
installations  - for the rest you can upsample 720P to 1080P.

>It depends upon how big you require.  The numbers sound good even
>on 50" screens, even if most folks are sitting too far away to
>really tell.  And I think the premium for 1080p RPTV's will
>disappear with micro-display chips.

You continue to buy into the numerology arguments.

That's OK with me. If there is a market for 1080P displays fine.

But don't confuse this with the optimal resolutions for emission.
720P is more than adequate even if it is ultimately resampled to 1920
x 1080 for display.

>I already have an IO-Data LinkPlayer which can play Divx, Xvid,
>and WM9 red laser DVD's with HD resolutions (mostly).  Though I
>would greatly prefer it also play AVC.
>
>Generally I think all discs are (in a few years) dead for movies.
>    The Holo cards will fit a high quality AVC movie on a card
>which I believe is more like a credit card form factor and will
>not have to spin.

You may be right. But for now current DVDs still have plenty of life left.

CD-audio discs first appeared in the early '80s. They are still going
strong, despite the fact that it is now easier to download music
files via the Internet. I got an iTunes gift card for Father's Day. I
doubt I will ever buy another audio CD.

Although Audio CD was conceived as a container for PCM music samples,
it has become a generic bit bucket that is widely used for all kinds
of bits. The same thing is happening with Red laser DVDs.

>I can't predict the timing so really can't tell whether Blurray
>DVD's or HD-DVD's will get a chance to become an interim standard
>first.  I somewhat doubt it since Hollywood still seems to be in
>no hurry and has no horse in that race.

One important data point. The various forums working on HD-DVD are
still arguing about the content protection system.

The only meaningful deployment of a Blue-Ray based product in the
near future will be the new Sony Playstation, which is the reason
that Sony is not likely to budge on HD-DVD.

Support for HD via Red Laser DVDs could grow very quickly in the face
of a potential format war.