[opendtv] Re: BBC Demonstrates HDTV Broadcasts over SD Channels

  • From: Mark Schubin <tvmark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Jun 2005 07:33:48 -0400

If possible, try to identify the source.

I would certainly agree that cameras with 1280 x 720 imagers do not look
as sharp as those with 1920 x 1080 imagers.  I complained about the
former from when they first came out.  At the time, high-end
standard-definition cameras already had over 1350 image-sensors per
line, so it seemed foolish to me for a so-called HD camera to use fewer.

But that's the imager, not the format.

On March 31, I was involved in shooting "Passion" in an HD truck
equipped with Thomson LDK-6000 cameras.  Their imagers use 1920 sensors
across regardless of whether they are set for 1080i or 720p.  At one
point, during a rehearsal, the truck engineer-in-charge and I were going
through all the cameras on a router to make sure they were okay.  When
we hit one camera, the HD monitor flashed that it was showing 720p/60
instead of 1080i.  We thought that was odd, so we pressed our eyes to
within a few inches of the glass to see if we could see anything soft.
We couldn't.  So we checked the camera.  Sure enough, it had been set to
the wrong format.  But because it used the same imagers as the other
cameras, its pictures looked just as sharp.

TTFN,
Mark