[opendtv] Re: BBC Demonstrates HDTV Broadcasts over SD Channels

  • From: "John Willkie" <JohnWillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 21:18:38 -0700

Actually, Tom, we've been through this two separate times before, in two
different years.  The first time was almost exactly two years ago.  Sort of
sad that you didn't learn.

MPEG-2 places no constraint on which of the three pixel sizes you use with a
video frame of a particular size.  ATSC, however, does place such a
constraint.  If you look at A/53c, section 5.1.2, and table A3 (which
follows that section heading) you can see that 480x640 can have square
pixels or 9/16 sized pixels; 480x704 can have 3/4 or 9/16 sized pixels.

But, John was talking about display aspect ratios, not sample aspect ratios.
I forgot to do another calculation to refute what he said, in the context of
480x640.  If one divides 480 by three, one gets 160.  If one multiplies 160
x 4, one gets 640.  I'm still looking for a 480 line video format with a
16:9 display aspect ratio.

This "as specified separately in the stream" must be another one of your
non-sequiturs; any such type of description is optional -- and was the
subject of much discussion today on my PSIP list
(EtherGuideCallsign-request@xxxxxxxxxx) by persons more knowledgeable than
myself -- and is seldom seen.  Other than the active format description and
bar data -- which actually doesn't handle what you are alleging -- just
where is this separately defined stream data found?

Have you ever written a transport stream parser or analyzer, Tom?  I have.
It's called EtherGuide Ferret.