[opendtv] Re: BBC Demonstrates HDTV Broadcasts over SD Channels

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2005 22:04:50 -0400

At 10:19 AM -0400 6/22/05, John Golitsis wrote:
>I didn't realise you were only referring to yourself.
>
>If you don't watch news on TV, then OF COURSE you couldn't care less
>if it's in HD!

Originally I was taking in general terms, but since you personalized
the thread, I related my personal preferences.

Little of what I do see on TV news from any source would benefit from
improved resolution.

I do think that major news event coverage can benefit from HD.
Remember the good old days, when almost everything NASA tried to
launch from the Cape was covered by the broadcast networks? Launch
coverage would certainly benefit from HD. But HD and AC3 can't begin
to compare with the experience of being there for a launch.  I still
remember the thrill and awe of covering the launch of Apollo 11.

The practical realities of moving to HD and a 16:9 aspect ratio,
which have been noted in this thread, seem to outweigh the benefits
that HD would bring to new. Perhaps someday we will be able to forget
about legacy receivers ( and their limitations), and produce the news
taking full advantage of HD acquisition and the added real estate and
detail that it affords. But for now, it looks like the lowest common
denominator is  4:3 SD.