[opendtv] Re: ATSC and Lip Sync

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jun 2009 15:52:02 -0400

Tom Barry wrote:

> We have to be careful here of what is possible in the written
> standard vs what can and will be done in the industry.  We have
> just had a couple statements about how many features may not be
> used because they would break very early model receivers.

Yes, but Tom, people who complain need to be consistent in their
complaints. Otherwise, they carry no weight.

No one cares whether the new Internet application breaks old receivers.
No one cares whether the updated codec will bring your old PC to its
knees. You are simply expected to make it work, even if that means
buying a new PC, because failing to do that means that soon enough
you'll be left out in the cold.

It is very obvious to me that one could take this same approach with
ATSC. The standard is fine with this. Design new applications, break old
receivers. What keeps this from happening is simply an unwillingness to
operate TV distribution on the PC model, by the service providers (OTA
broadcasters in this case), and I'm not so sure that the average Joe out
there thinks this is a bad thing.

> And
> the broadcast industry for the most part just converts everything
> to baseband and encodes it on the fly as a single a/v stream.
>
> These decisions may be the correct ones but they do NOT lead to the
> flexibility and upgrade paths that may be pointed to in the written
> standards.
>
> Evolution can only occur when you are willing to have some viewers
> unable to use some new features, the same thing we may gripe about
> on the Internet.
>
> Otherwise you are stuck.  Maybe stuck on purpose as a sound business
> decision, but still stuck.
>
> Much in the ATSC standard may never be used.

And yet, there are quite a few new features that can be added
compatibly. One obvious one being the M/H standard. Firmware downloads
to specific receivers are another. H.264 and new video formats are
another. Improved EPGs. And yes, even tagretted ads can be added, for
those with the appropriate STB or new TV set designed to accept these.