[opendtv] Re: ATSC and Lip Sync

  • From: Mark Schubin <TVMark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 May 2009 18:59:56 -0400

As far as a broadcaster is concerned, a commercial (unless it has some change in AFD or dialnorm comparable to a scene change in a program) is just more of the program stream.  It is continuous audio and video into the encoders.

TTFN,
Mark

Tom Barry wrote:
Mark -
I thought there were some sort of discontinuity flags in the digital
audio at the start of each new section of material which could cause a
reset/recalc of time stamps.  Is this not true?

- Tom

Mark Schubin wrote:

As far as the receiver is concerned, the commercials are just a continuation of
the programming.

TTFN,
Mark

dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx wrote:

I, too, have noticed out-of-sync commercials but not nearly as frequent as
regular programming.  Could it be that since commercials are usually 30
seconds or less that they have less time to get out-of-sync than the longer
program lengths?

Dan
-------------------------
Date: Sun, 24 May 2009 09:29:21 -0400
From: Mark Schubin <TVMark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [opendtv] Re: ATSC and Lip Sync

Richard C. Ramsden wrote:

BUT!
have you noticed that the commercials are never out of lip sync?

No, I have not.  I've seen many out-of-sync commercials.  But, if I
quickly change channels and return, they come back into sync (as do the
program segments).

TTFN,
Mark

---------------------------------------------------------------------- You can UNSUBSCRIBE from the OpenDTV list in two ways: - Using the UNSUBSCRIBE command in your user configuration settings at FreeLists.org - By sending a message to: opendtv-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the word unsubscribe in the subject line.