[opendtv] Re: ATSC and Lip Sync

  • From: Mark Schubin <TVMark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 14:58:26 -0400

I suggest that those commenting on this process who haven't done so go visit a real broadcast TV station and watch what they do -- and with what equipment.  Then you may continue to comment but with perhaps a somewhat greater understanding of television broadcasting.

TTFN,
Mark

dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx wrote:

I understand that most (if not all) Container or Wrapper files split the audio and video data up even if originally together during a digital ingest or encode process.  So even if MPEG-2 TS, ATSC, HD-SDI, etc. keep everything in time, once it goes to the hard drive, if not properly processed, there sync problems are likely.  Seems to me like there is a lot of potential for problems throughout the processing chain as the file is edited and otherwise manipulated.  It also seems to me that this potential could be fixed by not splitting up the two when storing the media and continuing to process the two together as data in common, with relationship.  But then again, I'm no expert in file storage formats so perhaps there are reasons for doing so.

Dan Grimes
---------------------------------------------------------------------- You can UNSUBSCRIBE from the OpenDTV list in two ways: - Using the UNSUBSCRIBE command in your user configuration settings at FreeLists.org - By sending a message to: opendtv-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the word unsubscribe in the subject line.