[opendtv] Re: ATSC and Lip Sync

  • From: Mark Schubin <TVMark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 23:31:31 -0400

Cliff Benham wrote:

IT SHOULD JUST WORK. PERIOD.
Would that it were that easy.  Here are a few scenarios:

1. A program on storms is showing lightning strikes. They are probably being shot from pretty far away. Should they deliver true lip sync, which would involve the crack occurring perhaps seconds after the flash, or should they fake it?

2. A conscientious broadcaster is airing a remote feed via a frame sync, with a matching audio delay. Eventually, the frame sync's buffer will fill and need to be reset, should the audio follow, causing an audible pop, or should it wait, out of sync, until a pause?

3. A TD/vision mixer is doing an interesting effect, involving pictures passing through several effects systems, each adding a field of video delay. Should the audio mixer delay the audio to match? If so, what should happen when the TD/vision mixer cuts from the effect to the live camera and suddenly loses the video delay? Should the audio pop, should it be out of sync during the effect, or should there be some transition period, again waiting for a pause?

4. A wireless camera is being used as one of many in a show, and its encode-decode processing adds latency. Is it better to delay the other dozen cameras and the audio to match, introducing multiple points of failure (and cost) and adding to the director's reaction time? Is it better to delay the audio only when the wireless camera is used? If so, what about split screens or other effects? And what about getting in and out of the audio delay?

5. A TV show is being presented in a large movie theater. Should the lip sync be correct for someone in the front row? In that case, it'll be a frame out for someone roughly a dozen rows back.

6. A news show involves a three-way conversation among people at great distances. Is it better to have perfect lip sync or to avoid adding to the conversational delay?

Those are just a few issues that don't lend themselves to a "IT SHOULD JUST WORK. PERIOD" solution.

Then there are many situations that DO lend themselves to a simple solution that is simply not being done: frame-rate conversion without compensating delay, Dolby E or AC-3 coding without compensation for both encode and decode delays, etc. I would love to see those wiped out through training and, perhaps, the expenditure of a little money (audio delay capability is built into many audio consoles these days, and in post it can just be slewed).

And then there are consumer decoders -- not just ATSC, but also cable and satellite (I don't have any telco-video home experience, so I can't speak to theirs). They can lose lip sync even when the broadcaster does everything right. I share your frustration, and I applaud your complaint, but I'd like to direct it appropriately.

By all means, send a complaint to the FCC about not requiring frequent PTS synching in receivers. I point out merely that it is not the ATSC's fault.

TTFN,
Mark