[opendtv] ATSC High Def Recorder

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 21:47:37 -0700

Does anyone know if there is a box one can buy with the following features?

1.  ATSC tuner.

2.  Record native HD signals, full quality of the broadcast.

3.  NO monthly fee or registration.

4.  Record to Hard Drive for time shifting and replays.

5.  HDMI output.

6.  Composite Video output (to be used until I get a monitor with HDMI).

7.  Be able to record one channel and watch another.

The list is in order of importance.

I used to use a computer with a MyHD card to record .ts files, but I would like just a plain blackbox that can use a universal remote and doesn't require running all the time.

I found a Sony DVR and JVC DVHS that records HD, but it appears both are discontinued.  I found lots of DVD and PVR recorders that record SD, but not HD.

I see that the TiVO is HD, but works only with a monthly charge.  Do the DirectTV boxes require activation (i.e. monthly charge) to work with ATSC?

I searched avsforum but getting through the all the posts took up more of my evening than I wanted it to and I still didn't find straight answers.

If I, being in the business, can't get to the answers, how is the common consumer to?

Dan

---------------------------------------------------------------------- You can UNSUBSCRIBE from the OpenDTV list in two ways: - Using the UNSUBSCRIBE command in your user configuration settings at FreeLists.org - By sending a message to: opendtv-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxx with the word unsubscribe in the subject line.