[opendtv] Re: Automakers Oppose HD Radio Requirement

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jul 2008 12:53:53 -0400

Dan Grimes wrote:

> "Second, there is NOTHING to prevent you from taking out
> the factory installed radio and replacing it with anything
> you want. So this is NOTHING like the apartment building
> example." -Craig Birkmaier
>
> I'm not sure about this.  The sound systems are becoming
> more integrated with the entire console and other parts of
> the cars operating system.

Of course. I had specifically used OnStar as an example, integrated with
the radio display, when I made the point that aftermarket radios are not
a good option. He chose to ignore that.

The practice of tying the customer down to a controlled set of
compatible options is very common. For example, single lens reflex
camera makers have been doing this so effectively that the only
interoperable options left anymore are tripods and lens filters.
Aftermarket lenses, if available, are manufactured with different mounts
for each camera brand. Makes it a little expensive to own different band
camera bodies, eh?

I wouldn't mind paying extra for a GM radio, i.e. integrated with
OnStar, that also has HD Radio. Can't do that. It's analog AM/FM, or
that plus XM Radio. And yet, this isn't supposed to be anti-competitive.

Okay.