[opendtv] Re: 5th generation Test

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 11:19:00 -0500

Bob Miller wrote:

> Our latest test of a receiver using LG's 5th generation
> chip but not made by LG was a major disappointment. It
> seems that having the LG 5th generation chip is not what
> made the LG prototype we tested last summer work so well.

Good info. This is what Dale Kelly had suggesteed. So now
that we know that echo tolerance is not all there is, tuner
manufacturers can concentrate more on the basic
fundamentals of what makes a good tuner. Stuff we've known
about for multiple decades.

The good news is that these basic fundamentals are well
understood, whereas the equalizer design was the more
tricky part of the problem.

So we are *FAR* from being where we were in 1999. The fix
might not be free, but it sure is KNOWN.