[opendtv] Re: 5th generation Test

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 12:52:55 -0500

John Shutt wrote:

> If the performance isn't solely in the equalization chip,
> then how do those European standard STBs perform so well
> at such a low price point?  Couldn't be the modulation
> scheme, could it?

Did anyone try out a single-conversion COFDM receiver in
Mark's apartment? Apparently, the current crop of Freeview
receivers are single conversion. The first gen was not.

The answer is likely simple enough, John. Our transmitters
are often not co-located. In places like NYC, where the
spectrum is full, this becomes especially problematic.

And, of course, there's no one on this list willing to tell
the whole story on COFDM reception issues.