[opendtv] Re: 5th generation Test

  • From: Bob Miller <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 15:05:49 -0500

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:

>Dale Kelly wrote:
>

>>As I previously suggested might be the case, it appears that Zenith utilized
>>a specially designed RF front end
>>in the receiver used for  the 5th Gen demonstrations -possibly never to be
>>seen again in a consumer product.
>>

>Instead, the way I see it, this unnamed box with LG 5th gen chip will not
>create any sort of market sensation,
>thanks to its cheap crap front end, so it will be completely unremarkable.
>Whereas the first manufacturer
>who introduces a well done design, even if at a small premium, will get the
>big media blitz that the LG
>prototype got.
>
>Cheap products only make profits when they work.
>
>Bert

They are not going to sell it. They have withheld it from the market
already. They mentioned July and a new video card so I think that they
are looking at the broadcast flag issue. But I think they are listening
to me when I say that they should not market yet another poor receiver.
Better to  charge more and get it right just for once. I should say
partially right just for once.

Bob Miller