[opendtv] Re: 5th generation Test

  • From: "Dale Kelly" <dalekelly@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 08:21:17 -0800

Bob wrote:
> I noticed that the LG tuner board display from the CES show that Mark
> showed me again while I was at his place was larger than the other tuner
> cards. It looks like the receiver we tested did not have this board but
> a cheaper one though both had the LG 5th generation chip.

As I and others have advised in earlier posts, good DTV receiver performance
begins with a well designed RF front end ; see Mr. Rhodes series of
articles, some of which have been posted on this forum. The ATSC receiver RP
overlooks (actually ignores) this critical aspect, which has been a known
requirement for good receiver design for many many years.

The DTV broadcast system, with it's packed spectrum, has place a significant
burden upon the OTA receivers front end. However, this fact is ignored by
manufacturers who continue to use the "dumbed down" receivers designed to
operate in the benign cable environment. As I previously suggested might be
the case, it appears that Zenith utilized a specially designed RF front end
in the receiver used for  the 5th Gen demonstrations - possibly never to be
seen again in a consumer product.