[opendtv] Re: 20050509 Mark's Monday Memo

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 15:38:22 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> There will always be demand from fixed receivers for
> this service, and as such it makes sense to deliver
> it at SD quality levels or better. But there will
> also be demand for a low bit rate service for
> portable/mobile receivers during certain day parts.
> Logic says that the service to fixed receivers can be
> based on more efficient use of the channel in terms
> of bits/Hz, and that the mobile/portable service
> should be optimized for robustness (and most likely
> lower image quality) using less bits/Hz. If the
> marketplace supports this, and the news organization
> can make money with both services, why not simulcast?

Yes, there might be times where a simulcast makes
sense, but hopefully not at the expense of the main
signal. For example, service to mobile handheld devices
to cover the entire market area might be quite
inefficient if the normal DTT transmitter(s) are used,
but might be better handled by a cell service.

It might make more sense for broadcasters to give
Verizon retransmission consent on Vcast than to try to
try to use either DVB-H or E-VSB, for these handhelds.

> Why is our policy based on the idea that this
> capacity belongs to the broadcaster?

Only for OTA TV and radio transmission. For cable, DBS,
and satellite radio, the capacity belongs to another
gatekeeper -- the service provider.

Is there a problem with supporting both models?