[opendtv] Re: 20050509 Mark's Monday Memo

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 12 May 2005 10:43:40 -0400

8-VSB will never perform as well as COFDM.  Never.  Likewise, ATSC will
never perform as well as DVB.

Our only hope is to have 8-VSB become "good enough."  Most viewers will
never know or care that they could have had much better.  Apparently most
broadcast executives will never know or care, either.

Broadcasters could have mobile.  Broadcasters could have portable.
Broadcasters could have had ancillary data to mobile and portable devices.
Broadcasters could have had a range of robustness/bitrate choices.

The mantra of "8-VSB is an easy fix" drowned out the cries of "so what? It
still doesn't do everything else that DVB-T and COFDM can."

www.viacel.com/bob.wmv for a taste of what we could have had as early as
Christmas 2000.

John

(Sorry to beat the COFDM drum again, but yesterday I was out making viewer
complaint calls and got mad all over again at how poor 8-VSB performs.)