[opendtv] Re: 20050509 Mark's Monday Memo

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 10:14:07 -0400

At 9:31 AM -0400 5/20/05, Mark Aitken wrote:
>The problem with simply "doing the math" is that most folks don't care
>about "doing the math". Pricepoint versus PERCEIVED quality is more
>important in the consumer market. "Keeping up with the Jone's" is more
>important for the ego centric s. The reasons for upgrading technology
>are driven by in ways that no scientist, no mathematician, no idealist
>will ever fully understand. That is why people still do market research.
>That is why "human polling" (when done correctly) is a more important
>determinant as to what will sell.
>People (most) are subjective in ways that EVEN THEY DO NOT UNDERSTAND!
>We are where we are for so many reasons, the only word that comes to
>mind is "fickle"...

None the less, buying a new TV is growing more complex, and I am
seeing more effort from both manufacturers and retailers to help
educate customers about what is important.

I am especially pleased that the bigger numbers are better philosophy
is beginning to fall apart. With the shift to non-crt displays,
people are now able to think of TV displays in a manner similar to
computer displays. Size and pixel counts are important, and this is
leading some retailers to educate consumers about the resolution
requirements  for different viewing distances.

And while there are plenty of smaller HD capable screens available
today, it seems that most people are associating HD with BIG SCREENS
- as they should - rather than big numbers.