[opendtv] Re: 20050509 Mark's Monday Memo

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 19 May 2005 08:48:52 -0400

At 12:17 PM -0400 5/18/05, Mark Aitken wrote:
>Well, I have certainly seen some 720P that looked MUCH better than
>1080P, both "bit width" starved and with sufficient "bit width"... :-)
>Some folks believe that 1080P MPEG2 HD requires just a bit more "bit
>width" than the available 19.39Mb/s. ;-)
>I guess what I am saying is different but the same...
>
>"720P can provide better quality pictures than 1080P", some times, under
>some circumstances. So what?!

480P can beat both 720P and 1080P if the HD sources are overcompressed...

SO WHAT.

What is important is not the source resolution but delivering a
sharp, high quality picture to the average display.

Last I looked the average size of a new HD capable display was still
way south of 60 inch diagonal. 720P is more than adequate for screens
with diagonals up to 70-80 inches.

SO WHAT is really important is using all the knows (variables) in the
system to deliver high quality source to the displays.