[opendtv] Re: 20050509 Mark's Monday Memo

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "OpenDTV (E-mail)" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 May 2005 11:42:24 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> One size will never fit all again. Of course broadcasters
> need to aim higher than NTSC. But optimizing for the best
> receivers is absurd, especially when 720P can deliver
> high quality to virtually all receivers.

Reception and local display is one thing, broadcast
transmission standards are another. One size does have to
serve all receivers for an *efficient* *broadcast* system,
where you don't want to create separate simulcast streams.

The only constraining factor in DTV broadcast transmission
should be use of your channel capacity. If you want to use
the channel for multiple streams, or even a lot of
non-real-time file transfers, that would obviously dictate
a reduction in quality levels of your real-time streams.

> 1080i is a joke, as the MPEG-2 tools are not efficient
> enough to handle 2 Mpixel formats,

1080 at 24 or 30p should work just fine. And with fast new
gear, deinterlacing 1080 at 60i into 1080 at 60p might just
provide better images than rescaling to 720 at 60p. I
wonder if anyone has done the comparison?

Luckily, since all these options are already available,
we don't NEED TO CARE, do we. I don't understand why you
feel so compelled to carry the banner for 720p. The best
format to use will change over time, as displays get
bigger and higher quality. There's just no need to make a
religious war of this.

If this year's new 1080 displays show an appreciable
improvement when fed 1080 material, this would obviously
be a motivator to introduce AVC into ATSC and digital
cable. That way, 1080 streams will fit more comfortably
in the 6 MHz channels.