[obol] Re: Field Guide Recommendations

  • From: Brandon Green <brandon.green18@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2015 18:29:44 -0700

Alan's last point is a good one. Years ago, I got into the habit of looking
through field guides at night before bedtime. Over the next few years, I
was able to accurately and almost immediately identify a couple of vagrants
that were also lifers. That wouldn't have happened without the extra
preparation.

As for my personal preference, I mostly use the old first edition Sibley's.
I also own and occasionally reference some older Peterson's and Nat Geo
guides. I've put off purchasing the newer Sibley's book, as I'd rather
spend money on the tablet/smart phone apps. As much as I prefer books over
screens, books don't contain call and song recordings. And while the Sibley
app could stand to beef up its vocalization library a little, I've been
pretty happy with both the iPhone and iPad versions.

Brandon
Eugene

-----

- *From*: Alan Contreras <acontrer56@xxxxxxxxx>
- *To*: tc@xxxxxxxxxx
- *Date*: Wed, 21 Oct 2015 15:21:34 -0700

One piece of advice for owners of field guides: read them a lot. There’s
nothing like being prepared when you see something odd.