[obol] Re: Field Guide Recommendations

  • From: "Tom Crabtree" <tc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <802redwood@xxxxxxxxx>, "'OBOL'" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2015 14:47:03 -0800

Michael,

You will get emails from people with a lot of different recommendations. There
isn’t a bad answer (except maybe the DK book). The new editions of each guide
provide improvements. Personally, I like the National Geographic Guide (Sixth
edition). To me it has better illustrations, more complete text and more
up-to-date range maps and is an easier size to carry in the field. For what
it’s worth, it is the #1 selling field guide at Amazon (Sibley is #2). They
even have a “Western” version that is even more compact. A lot of people will
recommend Sibley. The Stokes guide is good if you prefer photos to drawings.
The Crossley Eastern Guide is a good reference for pictures, but the text is
lacking and it is huge. The good news is there is so much choice available
now. When many of us started there were only two choices, Peterson’s and
Pough’s.

Tom Crabtree, Bend