[obol] Re: Field Guide Recommendations

  • From: "Karl E. Schneck" <keschneckdds@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tc@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2015 15:07:03 -0700

I'm an old fart, I started when the only guide I knew of was Peterson's 1st
edition... it was great for a 10 yo. Now there is a huge selection of field
guides... and the internet!!! Cornell's BNA is incredible for reference.

On Wed, Oct 21, 2015 at 3:47 PM, Tom Crabtree <tc@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Michael,

You will get emails from people with a lot of different recommendations.
There isn’t a bad answer (except maybe the DK book). The new editions of
each guide provide improvements. Personally, I like the National
Geographic Guide (Sixth edition). To me it has better illustrations, more
complete text and more up-to-date range maps and is an easier size to carry
in the field. For what it’s worth, it is the #1 selling field guide at
Amazon (Sibley is #2). They even have a “Western” version that is even
more compact. A lot of people will recommend Sibley. The Stokes guide is
good if you prefer photos to drawings. The Crossley Eastern Guide is a
good reference for pictures, but the text is lacking and it is huge. The
good news is there is so much choice available now. When many of us
started there were only two choices, Peterson’s and Pough’s.

Tom Crabtree, Bend