[obol] Re: Field Guide Recommendations

  • From: Lawrence McQueen <larmcqueen@xxxxxxx>
  • To: 802redwood@xxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2015 11:39:56 -0700

Michael,

It’s my opinion that the more up-to-date field guides you can afford to have,
the better. Disparaging comments can be made about each guide, as none are
perfect, nor can they be. I find that I go to Sibley first ( I have his second
edition, first printing), then I check out the others for confirmation or for
more and different information. If I need even more, I go to specialized
guides, dedicated to particular families (gulls, terns, shorebirds, warblers,
hummers, etc). In the end, I might submit to the web if I’m still uncertain.
The trend now is to begin with the App, and even there, one makes selections of
which App (including Sibley’s).

Larry

On Oct 21, 2015, at 11:05 AM, Michael Medina <802redwood@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hopefully this doesn't spark a too heated debate.

I was looking to replace my first edition Sibley with a newer one (I'm aware
of the color corrections they did on the later printings). However someone
recently made a disparaging comment about Sibley which got me wondering if
it's worth replacing the first edition.

I've got an old library of Petersons from the 80s, NatGeo from the late 90s,
Stokes from the late 90s, and maybe one other.

Is there newer versions of these that are better? Something new that I
should have?

Thanks
Michael Medina
Portland, OR