[obol] Re: Field Guide Recommendations

  • From: James Billstine <billstinj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Oct 2015 11:24:06 -0700

Curmudgeon Answer: The best field guide is a bird in the field! Back in my
day we used opera glasses and we liked it! We loved it! If you owned a copy
of "Birds of America" by Audubon you were considered a pantywaist! We
lugged easels and palettes into the field along with our acrylics and
painted the birds! All of you new generational birders with your voice
identifiers in your smarty pants phones; try packing a lithograph to
Southeastern Oregon on a mule train! =)

Just kidding folks. (Wink Wink nudge nudge)

I started using the Sibley app on my phone but I've seen a lot of birders
with the new big field guide, some of whom are quite adept in their
abilities. If you're used to the Sibley format or prefer it, as I do, I
would stick with it.

--
James Billstine

http://birdsandbrawn.blogspot.com/