[obol] Re: Another question on range expansion

  • From: David Irons <llsdirons@xxxxxxx>
  • To: Tim Janzen <tjanzen@xxxxxxxxxxx>, BILL ROSIE TICE <watice@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2015 15:59:18 +0000

Tim et al.,
The interesting thing about this upslope expansion is that it took roughly
20-25 years (from the point that Anna's became commonplace in the Willamette
Valley) for it to happen. For those who weren't birding in Oregon back in the
1970's, you'll probably be surprised to learn that until about 1975 or so,
Anna's Hummingbird was a rare bird in the Willamette Valley. I actually had to
make a concerted effort and go to the Portland home of a birding friend of mine
to get my state Anna's on 31 December 1977. It was my 300th Oregon bird at the
time.
The initial expansion into Oregon seems to have been driven by a northerly fall
dispersal, as Anna's would often show up in October/November at a feeder that
someone forgot to take down at the end of the Rufous Hummingbird season (early
September). These feeders were almost always at or near the valley floor in
residential areas. I wonder if the driver in all of the expansion of Anna's is
critical population mass. Anna's are now abundant throughout the year around
every Willamette Valley town that I have spent any time in. Perhaps the
population density has reached a point where they have to push out at the edges
of what has historically (short-term) their range in the lowlands. This range
expansion is ongoing and now includes parts of Oregon that are east of the
Cascades. I don't have a good feel for Anna's status in Klamath Falls,
Bend/Redmond/Madras or other points farther east, but they are certainly there.
Perhaps Tom Crabtree, Judy Meredith or others can report on the status there.
Dave IronsPortland, OR

From: tjanzen@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: llsdirons@xxxxxxx; watice@xxxxxxx
CC: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [obol] Re: Another question on range expansion
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2015 23:35:16 -0800

Dear Dave and Bill,I agree with you about the upslope movement of Anna's
Hummingbird. Prior to about 2000 I could not find them in the Happy Valley
area where I live. If I wanted to see them in the Portland metro area in
Clackamas County I had to search for them along the Willamette River or in
appropriate habitat on the valley floor in the SW part of the county. However,
about 2000 Anna's Hummingbirds began appearing at my hummingbird feeders on Mt.
Scott where I live at about the 750 foot elevation level. They have breed near
my house consistently since then. They can be found with regularity elsewhere
in the vicinity on various hills as well. I don't know how far upslope in the
Cascades in Clackamas County that Anna's Hummingbirds breed, but I wouldn't be
surprised if they breed in the Sandy area or further east in the Cascade
foothills.Sincerely,Tim Janzen From: obol-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx