[obol] rambling comments re Anna's Hummers around Bend

  • From: "judy" <jmeredit@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "obol" <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2015 13:40:40 -0800

I rarely kept notes but I scribbled one from 3/5/1995, that I saw an Anna’s in
Dean and Patty’s yard in central Bend, probably coming to a feeder. These are
tough little critters. Early March can be so cold here. It was 15 degrees that
night. Some individuals overwinter here (I believe most if not every year) and
have done so for years. They especially get noticed by diligent birders who
rotate freezing feeders for thawed ones during coldest days. One year, about
10 years ago or more, Dave Tracy still had Anna’s and Costa’s at his feeder
into January. He stopped seeing the Costa’s after a 10 or 20 below zero
stretch. We are at 3,500 elevation in Bend.

Anna’s are easier to find in town. I live 5 miles out and have never seen
Anna’s at my house but I haven’t used feeders for years due to neighbors with
loose cats. Lew Rems lives in this same neighborhood and he has been getting
Anna’s at his feeder.

I don’t believe I saw any Anna’s around Bend when I first arrived in the early
70’s. Others with detailed records may correct my merely anecdotal comments.
Judy Meredith, jmeredit@xxxxxxxxxxx