[obol] Re: Another question on range expansion

  • From: David Irons <llsdirons@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <watice@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2015 20:46:18 -0800

Bill,

You raise an interesting question about Anna's. Their range extends way to
north, with the Victoria, BC CBC now recording upwards of 500.

The real interesting thing is the upslope expansion that you allude to. For the
most part this seems to be a comparatively recent development. Prior to the
last few years, Anna's on the west side of the Cascades seemed to be mostly
restricted to the valley floor, not often being found very far upslope. Over
the last couple years I have been noticing Anna's at upslope sites in the
Cascades and the Coast Range. Of course my observations are colloquial and
lacking rigorous protocols, but I don't feel like I was just missing birds
upslope in the past.

Dave Irons
Portland, Oregon

Sent from my iPhone

On Nov 26, 2015, at 9:56 AM, BILL ROSIE <watice@xxxxxxx> wrote:

Since Tim R brought up the question on breeding records of Kite and
Red-shouldered Hawk in the Willamette Valley, the subject naturally leads to
the idea of range expansion. In the last 20 years or so, we have watched
Red-shouldered Hawks, Black Pheobes and possibly Kites extend their breeding
range. This leads me to ask the question about Anna's Hummingbirds – I seem
to get the idea that their range has stretched as well. I live in Falls City,
and up until maybe 5-6 years ago, I had 2 records of Anna's at my place, here
at the base of the coast range. Now they are year round residents, although
my feeders may keep them here. Roy Gerig and I saw one once near Sugarloaf
Mountain, half way to the coast. I'd like to know what others think.

Bill Tice: Birding - The best excuse for getting outdoors, and avoiding
chores.