[obol] Re: Another question on range expansion

  • From: M Gonzalez <towhee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: tc@xxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2015 14:07:41 -0500 (EST)

Tom,

You mentioned the cold snap last year when it reached -27 F. About 10-12 days
later we had an Anna's on the Bend Christmas Bird Count. The bird remained in
my neighborhood until at least 1/29/2015 at which time I no longer observed it.

Mark

From: tjanzen@xxxxxxxxxxx
To: llsdirons@xxxxxxx ; watice@xxxxxxx
CC: obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: RE: [obol] Re: Another question on range expansion
Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2015 23:35:16 -0800

Dear Dave and Bill,

I agree with you about the upslope movement of Anna's Hummingbird. Prior to
about 2000 I could not find them in the Happy Valley area where I live. If I
wanted to see them in the Portland metro area in Clackamas County I had to
search for them along the Willamette River or in appropriate habitat on the
valley floor in the SW part of the county. However, about 2000 Anna's
Hummingbirds began appearing at my hummingbird feeders on Mt. Scott where I
live at about the 750 foot elevation level. They have breed near my house
consistently since then. They can be found with regularity elsewhere in the
vicinity on various hills as well. I don't know how far upslope in the Cascades
in Clackamas County that Anna's Hummingbirds breed, but I wouldn't be surprised
if they breed in the Sandy area or further east in the Cascade foothills.

Sincerely,

Tim Janzen