[obol] Re: Another question on range expansion

  • From: "Tim Janzen" <tjanzen@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <llsdirons@xxxxxxx>, <watice@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2015 23:35:16 -0800

Dear Dave and Bill,

I agree with you about the upslope movement of Anna's Hummingbird. Prior to
about 2000 I could not find them in the Happy Valley area where I live. If I
wanted to see them in the Portland metro area in Clackamas County I had to
search for them along the Willamette River or in appropriate habitat on the
valley floor in the SW part of the county. However, about 2000 Anna's
Hummingbirds began appearing at my hummingbird feeders on Mt. Scott where I
live at about the 750 foot elevation level. They have breed near my house
consistently since then. They can be found with regularity elsewhere in the
vicinity on various hills as well. I don't know how far upslope in the
Cascades in Clackamas County that Anna's Hummingbirds breed, but I wouldn't be
surprised if they breed in the Sandy area or further east in the Cascade
foothills.

Sincerely,

Tim Janzen