[obol] Another question on range expansion

  • From: BILL ROSIE <watice@xxxxxxx>
  • To: OBOL <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Nov 2015 17:56:15 +0000

Since
Tim R brought up the question on breeding records of Kite and
Red-shouldered Hawk in the Willamette Valley, the subject naturally
leads to the idea of range expansion. In the last 20 years or so, we
have watched Red-shouldered Hawks, Black Pheobes and possibly Kites
extend their breeding range. This leads me to ask the question about
Anna's Hummingbirds – I seem to get the idea that their range has
stretched as well. I live in Falls City, and up until maybe 5-6
years ago, I had 2 records of Anna's at my place, here at the base of
the coast range. Now they are year round residents, although my
feeders may keep them here. Roy Gerig and I saw one once near
Sugarloaf Mountain, half way to the coast. I'd like to know what
others think.

Bill Tice: Birding - The best excuse for getting outdoors, and avoiding chores.