[obol] Anna's Hummingbird

  • From: Julie Edmonds <creeksidesongbird@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: obol <obol@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2015 08:24:39 -0800

I'm in the Tiller/Drew area, at 1500-1600'. Until this year I had never
seen any hummer in Oct. or Nov., the Rufous leaving the area in mid-Sept.
Only once before this year (I've been here 17 years) had I seen Anna's
during the nesting season, though several years I had one come through in
December.

This past spring I had the Rufous, Allen's, Calliope, and Anna's, with
Rufous and Anna's staying through the nesting season.

Though I only see it every 2-3 days, I still have an Anna's hanging about.
I believe it's the same bird showing because it always comes from and flies
back to the same large cedar tree.

I just stepped outside a bit ago, and was buzzed by a hummer. I only got a
brief glimpse after hearing it, so I can't be sure it was Anna's, but I
have to presume it was. I went to the front to check the only feeder I
still have out, and found it frozen, with the hummer seeming quite excited.
Of course I put out fresh feed for the poor thing. It's COLD outside!

Julie
Tiller/Drew