[muglo] Re: Wanted

  • From: "Eric D." <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2003 12:08:23 -0400

on 8/4/03 2:59 PM, Rich at lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>> 1. 100 BaseT ethernet (except for internet, 10 BaseT is a bottleneck); 2.
>> FireWire/USB; 3. an OS X-friendly video card. This would've chewed up all
>> the expansion slots in the Beige.
>
> Machine works fine here.  Fast Ethernet isn't 10x that of 10BaseT, as a lot
> of people think.

Well, it all depends on the hardware you're using. If you have a slow HD +
processor you won't be able to take full advantage of the 100 BaseT.

But, yes, it's not 10x faster (if it were 10x faster it'd be as fast as a
*fast* HD). It's damned fast compared to 10 BaseT though. What took me 1 hr
to back up through a 10 BaseT, took only 10 minutes to restore with a
cross-over cable between two iMacs.

Eric.