[muglo] Re: Wanted

  • From: "Eric D." <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 13:05:54 -0400

on 8/4/03 9:38 AM, Rich at lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>> I'd say the B&W is the first of this
>> generation of machines (the Beige has the disadvantage of a tiny video
>> card)).
>
> I got one.  G3/300 doing just fine.  Running as a server, 15" monitor.

The reason I'd pick the B&W as the first reasonably future-proof OS X Mac as
opposed to the Beige is that the B&W comes with a whole slew of things that
make it a modern computer that would require add-on PCI cards (taking up
expansion slots) in a Beige:

1. 100 BaseT ethernet (except for internet, 10 BaseT is a bottleneck); 2.
FireWire/USB; 3. an OS X-friendly video card. This would've chewed up all
the expansion slots in the Beige.

Of course, there are other bonuses to the B&W over the Beige -- 100 MHz bus,
2x PCI slot for video, still has an ADB port (for those of us attached to
the Apple Extended Keyboard ;), 1 GB RAM limit & wider range of accepted
DIMMs. And finally, <drum roll>, it's "portable" (those handles are great
for carrying -- and don't believe people when they claim they're not strong
enough... if you drop the machine, sure the handle's will break, but
otherwise they can handle whatever you'll throw at it).

That said, the Beige is an excellent machine if you don't need the "extras"
found in the B&W, coupled with other PCI cards (plus, the slowest unupgraded
B&Ws were faster than the fastest unupgraded Beiges).

I would like a Beige, except for the fact that I like the portability of
Apple's new towers. (though, I'd really like Apple to go back to the
IIcx/Quadra 700 form factor someday... these big over-sized computers are
irritating... maybe I'm spoiled by the portable desktop called the modern G3
PowerBook ;).