[muglo] Re: Wanted

  • From: Rich <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Submit MUGLO <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 14:59:28 -0400

Eric D.:

> The reason I'd pick the B&W as the first reasonably future-proof OS X Mac as
> opposed to the Beige is that the B&W comes with a whole slew of things that
> make it a modern computer that would require add-on PCI cards (taking up
> expansion slots) in a Beige:
>
> 1. 100 BaseT ethernet (except for internet, 10 BaseT is a bottleneck); 2.
> FireWire/USB; 3. an OS X-friendly video card. This would've chewed up all
> the expansion slots in the Beige.

Machine works fine here.  Fast Ethernet isn't 10x that of 10BaseT, as a lot
of people think.

> That said, the Beige is an excellent machine if you don't need the "extras"
> found in the B&W, coupled with other PCI cards (plus, the slowest unupgraded
> B&Ws were faster than the fastest unupgraded Beiges).

Beige G3 is a suprisingly zippy machine, with no extras, outside of RAM.

> I would like a Beige, except for the fact that I like the portability of
> Apple's new towers. (though, I'd really like Apple to go back to the
> IIcx/Quadra 700 form factor someday... these big over-sized computers are
> irritating... maybe I'm spoiled by the portable desktop called the modern G3
> PowerBook ;).

I want an Octagon.

--- Rich Fortnum / Viaduct Productions / Toronto (EST)
--- LDCMS Web-based Content Management System
--- Affordable, Quick, Powerful, Logical!
--- http://www.viaduct-productions.com