[muglo] Re: Wanted

  • From: "Eric D." <hideme666@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, <theguy@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2003 17:40:42 -0500

Doesn't seem off topic at all!

First off, I would suggest Terry's Tech Service, based out of Parkhill (519)
294-0648.

To paraphrase the cheesy (but successful) coat ads, Terry *really* is "worth
the drive to Parkhill". He knows what he's doing and he stands behind
everything he sells!

He will be able to set you up with all the hardware you need to do whatever
it is you're trying to do, and he'll do it at a decent price (he's not as
cheap as the cheapest of cheap places, but, he also doesn't sell cheap crap
that breaks down or is only half-Mac compatible or will fry your computer).

Re: *real* G3 towers (Beige, B&W, All-in-one):
1. your RAM is useless b/c all G3s take DIMMs (not SDRAM) -- the only way to
use SDRAM in a G3-based Mac is to upgrade a pre-G3 with a G3 CPU ;).

2. all PPC Macs (other than some of the early Performas) have ethernet
interfaces. Beige G3s have 10BaseT and B&Ws have 10/100 BaseT

3. I would recommend a B&W over a Beige G3 *any* day. You get a 100 MHz vs.
a 66 MHz bus, built-in FireWire/USB, lots of physical room for HDs, room for
an IDE ZIP, Jazz or similar undersized removable drive, 16 MB (vs. 2, 4, 6
or 8) accelerated video (which would use up a slot in a Beige G3), better OS
X support, higher max RAM (4 slots x 256 vs 3 x 256), etc. The B&W *even*
has an ADB port!

I would not bother with a pre-G4 if you plan to upgrade it in future to a
G4!!! Newer G4s offer much more than the B&W and Yikes (1st generation) G4s
can. You need to get past the first generation of G4s to have Quartz Extreme
support (AGP, and I think the lowest that's supported is the NVidea 16 MB...
all 32 MB & up machines are supported). You cannot add a "supported" card to
a non-AGP tower and have Quartz Extreme use it!

The only advantage to a Beige is that it has built-in serial (but, the B&W
can have a serial port in the modem slot, and many came with SCSI cards),
but I can't really see much of a use for serial anymore unless you have some
special hardware (like a datalogger, or an interface to some oddball
equipment).

If Terry's not your cup of tea, check out www.Ebay.ca and look at the
Canadian-only sections.

http://www.cpused.ca (or was that .com?) may also have what you're looking
for (they have lots of B&Ws in stock on their floor) [Toronto-based]

http://www.macoutpost.on.ca might have something as well (London, though,
they are a tad $$$)

http://www.macresq.com (or something like that) is a US supplier that has a
good reputation

http://www.smalldog.com

Or, sign up to the swap list run by http://www.lowendmac.com (I'd suggest
you subscribe to digest unless you want dozens of messages daily).

Hope this helps. I know there are two other Canadian swap sites, but I
haven't bothered recovering my bookmarks off CD yet. Sorry.

L8r, Eric.