[muglo] Re: B&W or PC?

  • From: Eurogarth <eurogarth@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Muglo@Freelists. Org" <muglo@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 09 Apr 2003 09:27:31 -0400

Count me as a convert to Mac!

Although XP does for Windows what OSX does for Mac in terms of stability, it
still keeps MS's paranoia on piracy when it comes to "installing" and
"uninstalling" Windows programs. While some may like the idea of purging
software, it's a little like finding out your favorite food is in fact your
only choice...

All MS software gets set into the registry at the time of installation and
if you take an entire program and just copy or move it from one location to
another on your computer it will NEVER run properly again. You are required
to do a full purge and re-install meaning you have to have your original
disks handy 'cause that's where the registry info is. On a Mac however, (as
I did when I moved up to a g3 iMAC from a Performa) you simply connect the
two together and copy the directory with the software over. This takes
minutes rather than the hours to do get your already owned software from one
machine to another.

On the other hand, the unrestricted access the Mac provides allows anyone
from anyone walk into a store, connect their iPOD or other small F/W RAM
device to a demo machine, and a few seconds later walk out with a full suite
of working software for free. A very tempting possibility given the pricing
of OSX compatible software such as Final Cut Pro, The Adobe Suite, of of
course Office, when you paid good money for the classic version. Apple's
ridiculous answer is to keep 2 O/S's on your machine. My uninformed  guess
is that most of the problems users have with OSX is where both are still
installed. Unless you're an OS support pro, having 2 on a single machines
even on partitioned or separate hard drives, is never a good idea

For me anyway, the Mac and OS-X are a far better solution to the PC platform
I was nurtured on. The PC stays almost unused in the basement acting only as
a file server or when a client sends/requests Publisher file or something
like that or when I need to back-up and sync my WinCE PDA.... Damn!  I still
need an iMac solution for that, but PocketMac is close at hand.

Garth.

PS A friend of mine who works at MS in Redmond tells me that all the fervor
MS has on piracy creates some 200MB of space requirement when installing XP
and Office for Registry, Swap and admin tools to manage it in network
environments