[mswindowsxp] Re: Networking Problems Wxp/W98

  • From: "John Jones" <john_jones@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <mswindowsxp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 1 Dec 2002 19:11:21 -0800

Tom
  Here`s some URL`s to guide you (just follow the illustrations):-

  For setting the WinXP computer up to share its Internet connection:-

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_ics/serverdialup.htm

  For setting the Win98 computer up to use that Internet connection:-

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/ics/icsclient.htm

  Where it guides you to select `never dial a connection` on the above web
page, don`t select that option, instead select `dial whenever a network
connection is not present` (this will make the computer dial if you choose to
unplug/take down the network connection between the computers).
  At the bottom of the above web page go for the `automatically for me please`
option, or follow this link which will take you directly there:-

http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/ics/icsclient_tcpip_auto.htm

  You need to enable WinXP`s built-in firewall on the dial-up modem Internet
connection here`s a URL on how to do it:-

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q283673#2

  If you have a firewall on the Win98 and/or WinXP computer (other than WinXP`s
built-in firewall) it/they will need tweaking.
  To share files and/or printers here`s some URL`s:-

For Win98:-

http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/win98.htm

  The only diagram you need to be aware of here is the one headed `Default
Network Protocols`. Notice that on the diagram it says `Primary Network logon`
make sure under this that you also have `Client for Microsoft networks` aswell.
Also make sure you have enabled/ticked printer/file sharing and then proceed to
the next URL:-

http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/msnetmap.htm

  When following the instructions on this web page give the shares on your
Win98 computer a name and either select `Read only`, or `Full`, don`t tick
`depends on password`.

For WinXP:-

http://www.techrepublic.com/article.jhtml?id=r00320020715shi01.htm&page=1

  These Web pages do go into some detail, just follow the diagrams on the first
2 pages.
  You share printers on both Windows 98 and XP in much the same way as sharing
files (i.e. right clicking on the printer device and select `sharing`).
  One final point make sure that you log into Windows XP using not only a user
name, but also a password and that you log into the Win98 computer using the
same user name and same password (remembering that the password is case
sensitive). Any problems ask away.

_____
John