[mswindowsxp] Re: Networking Problems Wxp/W98

  • From: foofaraw in the middle <foofaraw_in_the_middle@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: mswindowsxp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 13:29:37 -0800 (PST)

I emailed you earlier about this and saying that you need to add Netbeui to
your protocol stack but Doug Knox of M$ says this about using netbeui to
network:

Just a comment on your tip installing NetBEUI. I feel as you do [about NetBEUI
vs. IPX/SPX], and use NetBEUI for File and Print Sharing, unbinding TCP/IP from
those functions. However, I've found that the version of NetBEUI that ships
with XP doesn't work well with the versions that shipped with Windows
95/98/Me/2K. The XP version has significant problems (my experience) connecting
to computers with older versions of NetBEUI. Many, many "Network not available"
and other errors occur when trying to access network resources while mixing
them. For many people there may be an easy fix though. If they are available to
you, locate the NETNBF.INF and NBF.SYS from a Win 2000 CD or hard drive
installation, and use those versions instead." --Doug Knox