[mswindowsxp] Re: Networking Problems Wxp/W98

  • From: "John Jones" <john_jones@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <mswindowsxp@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 20:34:28 -0800

Tom
  Firstly you must be logging onto the WinXP computer with a user name and
password. Secondly you must be using the same workgroup and `protocol(s)` on
both computers.
  Make sure that on the `98 computer you have selected `client for Microsoft
networks` as the default log on (and not Windows/family log on), and that
you log onto the `98 computer using the same username and password that you
used to log onto the XP computer (remembering that the password is case
sensitive).
  There is no need for additional software, or upgrading your computer`s
Operating System to be able to network them.
  If you`re using the TCP/IP protocol make sure you haven`t enabled the
built-in firewall on the XP LAN connection. If you also have a firewall on
the `98 computer make sure you have allowed access on your LAN connection.
  On the XP computer make sure that the `Computer Browser` and `Server`
services are both `started`.
  If you need a step by step come back to me and/or the group.

_____
John